[Dixielandjazz] Hoagy Carmichael 1930 Lazy River-liver

Marvin Ipswich cornet at clearwire.net
Thu Mar 17 22:07:00 PDT 2011

Hi, Jack,
I have heard that story about the title. As it turns out, Arodin was not
black nor a Creole - his heritage was French. The original family name was,
I believe, Arnondin. The idea of his being Creole was due to Wingy Mannone
calling him "that little Creole boy" on a record date. I seem to recall
reading that the family's history didn't go all that far back in Louisiana;
perhaps to Sidney's grandparents who emigrated from France.

But Sidney was certainly not a racist. He was good friends with trumpeter
Lee Collins and they used to hang out together after their gigs. Their
friendship is the reason Collins suggested Arodin play on the Dave Jones-Lee
Collins Astoria Hot Eight session for Victor. I tend to feel that session
represented some of Sidney's best playing on records.

It's very clear there has been, and likely always will be an attitude of
superiority amongst the Creoles in New Orleans. Just think of Jelly Roll!
Plessy vs Ferguson caused huge changes, but, IMO, one of the good things
that came out of it was so many Creole musicians "jumping the line" and
working with Black musicians - playing that "head music" as Bunk put it.

Cheers,
Marvin