[Dixielandjazz] The Red Nichols Vitaphone + Vega Lutes

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 17 06:07:03 PDT 2011

Here is some more information courtesy of Stephen Hester, whose dad
Stan Hester was an avid fan and collector of Red Nichols music and
memorabilia. These are excerpts of Stan Hester's notes from IARJC
publications concerning Nichols:

"The film was released September 16, 1929, but we do not know the date
it was made. From August 2 through August 9 there were tryouts and
rehearsals for the show, 'John Murray Anderson's Almanac.' (Erlanger
Theater)Red's band was in the pit. I would bet that's when the film
was made."

"During that period of ten seconds or so when he leads the band I can
still hear his cornet. My son Steve who plays tuba and trumpet has a
better ear than me and also hears Red during this time. When you
listen to the band and check Red's fingering on the cornet, it's not
exactly correct. Maybe its overdubbed or Thunen or Egan sounded like
Red." . . . . .

"Controversy may be developing in regard to the question of who is
playing when the cornet lead continues when Nichols stops playing to
direct. Stan Hester believes it is Nichols overdubbed. However Joe
Shower played the soundtrack for a blind trumpeter and guitarist named
Jeff Healey who, Joe says, has a phenomenal ear. Jeff seemed certain
it was a different player and not Nichols."

....currently, I heard that Marty Grosz, the fine jazz guitarist who
knew Condon, identified the instrument as a Vega Lute. I called Grosz
and he did indeed identify it as such. For the record it should be
stated, Marty tells me, that Condon did not actually play tenor banjo
or tenor guitar

The article ends there, but I (Barbone) suspect that Marty meant
Condon played a plectrum banjo and a plectrum guitar.

Anyhow, regarding who is on cornet, or what Condon is playing on that
Vitaphone, you pays your money and takes your choice.

If anyone wants the complete articles (too long to post and too dim)
let me know off list and I will forward them.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband