[Dixielandjazz] Nichols & The Vitaphone

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 16 10:31:07 PDT 2011

Bill Haesler and I got a note from Stephen Hester with a scan copy of
a Vitaphone record that provided the sound for the Nichols Vitaphone
film that Bob Romans asked about. It said:

"Here is a scan of dad's copy of the Nichols Vitaphone Disc. The
original film was missing a few frames ...they copied other frames
from other parts to fill it."

"I put this scan on my Red Nichols Facebook Page."

Perhaps that explains Red Nichols not playing on the film when the
lead cornet sound on the disc is still playing? If they lost those
frames, and spliced in some others?

Mr. Hester's Red Nichols Facebook site is at:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=107171935968511&v=wall

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband