[Dixielandjazz] Lut guitar Was (Personnel for the 1929 Red Nichols Vitaphone)

Marvin Ipswich cornet at clearwire.net
Tue Mar 15 17:33:27 PDT 2011

Hi, Bill,
Thank you for bringing that clip to my attention - one I had forgotten
about.

It's very interesting that in this clip, Condon is playing a tenor guitar
with a dark finish, while in the Nichols clip he's playing one with a light
finish.

In doing research on lutes today, it seems that to be properly called a lute
the instrument would have a rounded back and 15 or 24 strings. That said,
the instrument Condon played is a tenor guitar, since it has four strings
and a flat back. Even calling it lute-shaped is technically not correct, as
the traditional lute has an oblong shape and the tenor guitar has a pear
shape.

Regards,
Marvin