[Dixielandjazz] Red Nichols Vitaphone - clarinetist

Marvin Ipswich cornet at clearwire.net
Tue Mar 15 17:11:15 PDT 2011

Stan,

I think it's definitely been established that it is Pee Wee and NOT BG. I
don't know what the source of the personnel listed on the Bix website is,
but my thought is that the information came from a very reliable source -
quite possibly Vitaphone archives, especially since it is so detailed and
that there are no question marks next to players' names.

According to the Internet Movie Database - imdb.com - the date of the film
is September 16. 1929.

If you listen to Pee Wee's work from this period it's possible to hear the
similarities in tone and playing characteristics to those heard on the film.
Also, if you look at Nichols' discography for 1929, the year of the
Vitaphone, Pee Wee is in the personnel for many Nichols sessions, actually
more than Goodman, who also was recording with Nichols in 1929, although
both are on session from September when the film was made.

I do have a higher quality copy of the film than the one on youtube and it's
very definitely Pee Wee and not Goodman.

Regards,
Marvin