[Dixielandjazz] Pee Wee or Benny?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 15 13:07:22 PDT 2011

>  "Stan Brager" wrote:
>
> I have a question about the Red Nichols film. The clarinetist looks
> like
> Benny Goodman with his glasses. The person who uploaded the video
> insists
> that it's Pee Wee Russell although I don't remember seeing any
> photos with
> Pee Wee wearing glasses.
>
> Does anyone know for certain?
>
> Thanks;

Dear Stan:

My ears tell me it is indeed Pee Wee. Goiodman dod not, to my
knowledge play those wavering tones. Occasionally Russell did wear
glasses. Especially if he had to read a chart. However, he neither
like to read music, nor wear his glasses. For more than you want to
know about Pee Wee, see the below website which has some great stories
about him. If you scroll down about a half inch, there is a picture of
him in glasses.

http://jazzprofiles.blogspot.com/2009/07/charles-ellsworth-pee-wee-russell-born.html

Cheers,
Steve Barbone