[Dixielandjazz] Question!

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Sun Mar 13 18:49:03 PDT 2011

Don, I hope you keep stories like these coming because I enjoy every one
you post.  Thanks!
Ginny

In a message dated 3/13/2011 7:46:02 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
cornet at 1010internet.com writes:

Though  Red Nichols could be a hard guy to work for, he was litterally a
second  dad to me. Because he and my dad were good friends since the 20's
Iit was  to Nichols that dad turned to when, after he'd played the
Goldkette side  of Clementine and I heard Bix's solo, I tossed the
clarinet I had been  struggling with (dad was a reed man)
saying to hell with that, I wanted a  cornet. With the war now on, a new
horn was not available - most new  instruments were reserved for service
bands; so he asked Red N. if he  could pick out a decent used cornet for
me, Red went to Lockies' on Vine  and found a good used  Conn Victor, and
dad gave it to me and I was  off to the brass heavens. Then, with the
wisdom of the ages, dad realized  that as a reed man he couldn't help me
with the cornet; so he asked Red N.  if he would give me some lessons (he
lived near us in Toluca Lake) and  soon I would be over on my bike,
cornet case in hand, and Red would put me  though Arben and Schlossberg,
for which I am humbly grateful to this day.  I would play long tones  to
warm up while his two old English  bulldogs snorted, slobbered and farted
as if to say more air, kid, more  air. Red's best advice was -
"Simplicity is the essense of good taste."  Damn right!
Some may have disparaged Red for reasons of their own, but  don't do it
in my presence. He remained a close family and personal friend  to the
day he died. Ironically I lost both of my Red-headed "dads, real  and
honorary - in the same year, 1965.
Red was a well taught and  totally professional cornetist, able to read
and play anything the job  called for and his legacy of recordings
boggles the mind when totaled  up.
What others' opinions of Red Nichols may have been, I hold him in  memory
with great regards, and remember a friendship that is fresh in the  mind
today.
So, Bob and Marek, give a good listen to  one of the  better players to
have passed through the jazz age every chance you  get.
Don Ingle