[Dixielandjazz] Blue Street Band-- review of Dave Ruffner's book by Lew Shaw

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Sun Mar 13 17:07:02 PDT 2011

To DJML & Musicians & Jazzfans lists

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

Jazz writer Lew Shaw allows a "sneak-peek" at his review of Dave Ruffner's
book.  Review will be published in upcoming issue of AMERICAN RAG.

See the AR website for details.

Thanks Lew.

Ruffner's Book Tells Blue Street JB Story

by Lew Shaw, THE AMERICAN RAG

Dave Ruffner's book, "OUR TURN TO DANCE" is a 25-year (actually 26 years,
but why nit pick) journey down memory lane for those of us who have been
involved with jazz societies and festivals over the past quarter-century.
Published at the end of 2008, the sub-title is "Celebrating 25 years of the
Blue Street Jazz Band." It's the story of how the band started, its struggle
to become a regular on the festival circuit, dealing with the personalities,
egos and problems of the ever-changing band personnel as well as having to
put up with the politics of jazz societies and festivals.

It's an education for the average jazz fan who thinks a band just shows up
at a festival and plays a designated number of sets. Dave meticulously lists
(by my rough count) 366 weekend festivals and 274 society sessions, cruises,
weddings, funerals and sundry other events at which the band played from its
first official outing at the third annual San Joaquin Valley Dixieland Jazz
Revival in October of 1983 up to its final 2008 festival at San Diego over
Thanksgiving weekend.

The idea to organize a band took place in August of 1983 when trumpeter
Forrest Helmick, a 25-year-old music education major at Fresno State
University, hitched a ride with 31-year-old Fresno High School band director
and trombonist Dave Ruffner from the Sequoia Music Camp where they both had
been on the staff, and they broached the idea of organizing their own band.

Woody Laughnan, the founding publisher-editor of The American Rag, did a
great deal to promote the band in those early days. He heard Sherri Colby
when she was 13 years old sing at an anniversary party and convinced Forrest
and Dave that she should be the band's singer. Other than the two leaders,
she has been with the band the longest -25 years, one year longer than
drummer Rich Canfield. Twenty-eight musicians have played with the band on a
regular basis (1983-2008). At one time, six music teachers were in the band,
which Dave says had its good and bad features; good because they were all
accomplished musicians, but bad because "everyone thinks they are an
expert."

Dave considers the six years between 1993 and 1998 as the band's "high water
mark" when they played 134 festivals, but sees 2000-2001 as the most
artistic years, a trend that continues to the present day. Referring to
these recent years as the New Blue Era with the addition of Jason Wanner,
Jason Jurcak (who has since moved to New Orleans and been replaced by Sam
Rocha), Nate Ketner and Matt Bottel, Dave observes, "The energy, vitality
and inquisitiveness of these younger folks pushed us out of our settled and
comfortable ways of doing things and made us continue to grow creatively and
musically."

Dave goes out of his way to acknowledge that while he may have been the
front man and leader since 1985, "there would be no Blue Street without
Forrest Helmick. "I don't think my life would have turned out as it has if I
hadn't met up with Forrest. I was a typical high school band director who
played music occasionally on weekends. Blue Street changed all that. I never
would have experienced all the wonderful things that have happened in the
past 25 years - playing for all the wonderful people - the opportunities of
traveling to places I likely would have never seen - the joy of writing and
arranging music for a group of talented musicians - and simply doing what I
love most - MAKING MUSIC."

(To order a copy of the book along with a 60-minute DVD of televised Blue
Street performances, send check or money order for $20 to Dave Ruffner, POB
12424, Fresno, CA 93777-2424.)