[Dixielandjazz] Young kids in big name big bands

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Mar 13 04:40:41 PDT 2011

Harry wrote:
>While this is by no means intended as criticism of Mr. Kenton , when I saw
him on the same bill as Count Basie at NY's Carnegie Hall in 1960,  all the
members of his band looked young enough to be his sons.

The majority of the big bands fronted by a big name seem to travel, at least
to Europe, with very young musicians.  People often say how great it is
these guys give the young kids a chance.  That's nice, but could it be also
that these young kids will travel for next to nothing?  I would say
economics plays a bigger role than "being nice".

Jim