[Dixielandjazz] Kenton Changes Big Band Sound

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 11 16:44:26 PST 2011

> "Jack Mitchell" <fjmitch at westnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>> But the younger Sinatra is a storehouse of jazz academia and its
>> changes
>> through
>> the years, which keeps it continually viable in an age of synthetic
>> music
>> and current
>> fads.
>> "The big jazz band sound changed in the 1960s with Stan Kenton, who
>> was
>> primarily
>> responsible with experimenting and more flexibility in the sound.
>

> It seems that Sinatra's "storehouse of jazz academia" (whatever that
> means)
> needs some revision. Kenton changed the big band sound in the 1940s.
> Whether
> it was for better or worse, I'll leave others to discuss.

> To which Bob Ringwald suggested could have been a typo.

I would add that perhaps Sinatra Jr. was referring to Kenton's
Mellophonium band circa 1960-63. This version had its own 4
mellophonium section and was a change from previous Kenton sounds. He
even won a Grammy and it was the foundation of his educational work
with colleges and high schools which legacy and big band influence
continues today.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband