[Dixielandjazz] South Rampart Street

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Thu Mar 10 13:53:15 PST 2011

Bill Haesler wrote:

Robert Ringwald wrote [in part]:
> I could swear that I was told that there was no South Rampart Street in New Orleans.  Perhaps at the time the song was titled, there wasn't and a street has been named "South" since then?

Dear Bob - and other respondents to this thread,
In 'Esquire's 1946 Jazz Book'  there is a fold out map of Storyville, New Orleans in 1900-1915 by Paul Eduard Miller and Richard M Jones (dated 1944) highlighting the famous restaurants, tonks, saloons, stores, etc.
Rampart Street is shown from Julia (to the south) to St Louis (north end) and crossing Canal Street.
Very kind regards,
Bill.=

But, What is the name of the street?   Just Rampart Street?  Perhaps there was no South Rampart Street when the song was written.  Perhaps it was just Rampart Street?

--Bob