[Dixielandjazz] [Tradjazz] Mouldy or Moldy?

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Thu Mar 10 10:33:49 PST 2011

On 3/9/2011 5:56 PM, Phil OR wrote:

>> I was somewhat curious so I consulted my trusty Funk & Wagnall.
>>
>> Apparently the meaning of the word is the same, but the British spelling
>> includes the "u".  Now, I have to wonder, does the same thing apply to
>> neighbour and behaviour?
>>

> Yes!
>
> Phil O'Rourke
> Australia
>

> =======
> http://www.pctools.com/
> =======

Yep> You can thank the Normans who beat the stem cells out of the Saxons
at the Battle of Hastings. Normans, French speaking Vikings (hence Nor -
mans as in North Men) did what French love to do - add letters and then
not bother to pronounce them (except with facial and nostril
contortions),  and added the "U". The Saxons on the other hand tended to
use fewer letters - in fact many socially improper four-letter words are
still often traceable to the Saxons. Eg: The French call it Merde (five
letters), while the Saxons, using only four, called it  S***; so the
whole thing comes down to which variety of verbal crap you care to use.
This public education session was brought to you by the Academy for the
Hopelessly ConfusedI and Linguistically Deprived.
  Jazz Connection: "There'll be Bleu Birds over the White Cliffs of
Dover, Cha, Cha, Cha."
Don - well, hell, you had to ask - Ingle