[Dixielandjazz] God Bless The Child

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 9 06:47:26 PST 2011

Below write up from a New York City Newspaper:
Start article:
Best Musicians that don't look (OR SOUND) like dirty hippies

Treasures of the Sea

Every day in every New York City park a multitude of Jack Kerouac
manqus pollute the air with hideous covers of their favorite Bob Dylan
songs. We like Dylan just as much as the next disembodied editorial
voice, but we just can't shake the idea that street performance is
supposed to be an art form. For some time we thought that the art of
street musicians had been overcome by burnt-out hippies' feeble
reproductions of the mediocre classic rock songs of their youth. Then
we found Jake and Michael playing in Union Square.

Their sound is swing and bop, but unlike most of today's performers,
they have found new ways of performing dusty old music. If you are
lucky, you can find Jake Sanders on the steel guitar and Michael Magro
playing the clarinet in Washington Square Park or Union Square. If you
draw quad aces, though, you might hear the entire band together at
Fish, the spectacular Bleecker Street eatery, where they play weekly
with Jesse Selengut on the trumpet and vocals by the lovely Tamar Corn.

End Article

One mistake in the above write-up is that they do not play much bop.
Should have been swing and Dixieland. Here are some of their band
versions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF_MCxA8szM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBtCXAfJU9A&feature=related

How about Tamar Korn playing air violin on that second clip? If you
google her, you will see some of the other neat things she is doing
with her voice.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband