[Dixielandjazz] Dick Wellstood

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 4 07:58:58 PST 2011

Thanks for posting that Wellstood video Norman.

There is a lot of Wellstood on youtube. One of my favorites, in spite
of the inadequate sound recording equipment is of him, Kenny Davern
and Cliff Leeman at the Manassas Jazz Festival in 1979:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc3sQRzGoz0

Reason I like it is that Wellstood and Davern had a great friendship
and duo called Dick Wellstood's Famous orchestra. There was MAGIC on
those records. BTW, note that Kenny is miked above.

And here's a duo selection with him and Davern, "Fast as a Bastard",
followed by selections by Ralph Sutton and then Don Ewell for those
who like stride piano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPCph1ccWQE

Or this one back in 1947 with Wilber, Bechet and my best musical
friend and gig buddy back then, bassist Charlie Traeger. You can't
hear piano much on this recording, but you get an idea of where
Wellstood came from musically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ai8Go9aqvw

Dick Wellstood was a GENIUS musician and a VERY FUNNY guy as all those
who knew him will agree.

Cheers
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband