[Dixielandjazz] Kevin Eubanks on "Jazz"

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 2 07:28:52 PST 2011

One of the benefits to getting Jazz Inside as a freebie on line is the
information you get from non-OKOMers about the world of jazz. That
plus you get an appreciation for the "business" of music. Here is just
a short excerpt from an interview with Kevin Eubanks (ex-guitarist/
bandleader of the Tonight Show) It is in the current issue.

One question asked was why folks in the USA don't buy jazz records.

KE: "People will buy anything but they won't buy jazz because we’ve
ignored them and more than anything, people do not like being ignored
and by and large, that’s what we’ve done."

The next question was about how he introduced new audiences to jazz
via what the band, comprised of jazz musicians, played on the show.

KE: "It was jazz musicians, so therefore everybody just started saying
it was jazz but it wasn’t. We played Kool and the Gang, we played
Earth, Wind and Fire, we played Grand Funk Railroad, we played Rolling
Stones, we played Sly and the Family Stone, we played with all the
artists that came on the show. We played very little jazz. We played
Chicago songs when Chicago came on, Stevie Wonder songs when Stevie
Wonder came. When Paul McCartney came on, we played all Beatles songs.
Every blue moon we’d play a jazz song. It was just not what the show
needed. I had no conflict of interest in that I was doing the job the
best way I could contribute to the show."

"But the show brought people to my gigs around the country that I had
never seen - these are new people to the fold. They didn’t hear any
jazz music when I played with the band on the show but when I did gigs
they all showed up and then they got turned on to it. That’s great
because the audience grew and that’s reflected in the fact that Zen
Food (Ed. Note:his most recent jazz album) is selling really well
because those people didn’t know that that kind of music existed. They
never heard it before but when they came to see me and the band in a
live concert, they saw the emotion, the commitment and the excitement
involved. They walked away thinking that those cats worked! I wasn’t
exposing the country to jazz through the Tonight Show. I knew that
that was a mistake to look at it that way. That was not what was going
to happen. It was the wrong venue for it. I had sense enough to know
it and to respect that."

Jazz Inside is a 50+ page monthly magazine mostly about the scene in
New York City. I get it on line as a freebie every month and love it.
Not much info about OKOM, but much info about jazz, much of which is
relevant to OKOM.
It also lists all the jazz venues and jazz gigs in NYC. (hundreds)

More info about it at www.jazzinsidemagazine.com

BTW, I have no financial interest or relationship to the publishers.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband