[Dixielandjazz] excellent YouTube, Turk Murphy at a private party

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Jun 29 09:23:04 PDT 2011

Perhaps others on the list know of these videos, but I just stumbled on to
them.  It's Turk Murphy's band playing at a private birthday party at
someone's home in 1981.  The sound is exceptionally good, and the filming
isn't all that bad, either.  If you click on other similar videos seen to
the right of your screen, you can hear a lot of good music.

 <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbdhMxNX9eA&feature=related>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbdhMxNX9eA&feature=related

This party was held at the Johansson's, July 19th 1981, MILL VALLEY,
California, U.S.A.
PERSONNEL:
Bob Schulz: trumpet
Turk Murphy: trombone / leader
John Gill: clarinet
Bob Helm: alto saxophone
Pete Clute: piano
Carl Lundsford: banjo
Bill Carroll: tuba
Bob Raggio: washboard

It would seem that my original band (1956 to 1960) was at the same party,
although the only member from the original band would be the leader Vince
Saunders!

 <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZxnByfukow&feature=related>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZxnByfukow&feature=related

This party was held at the Johansson's, July 19th 1981 - MILL VALLEY,
California, U.S.A., taken at Walt's 50th birthday.
PERSONNEL:
Leon Okley : cornet / vocal
Dan Comins : cornet
Mike Baird : soprano saxophone