[Dixielandjazz] RIP Ollie Fosback

Rick Campbell ricksax at comcast.net
Mon Jun 20 09:03:25 PDT 2011

Oliver 'Ollie' Edwin Fosback of Sutherlin, Oregon, died June 9, 2011
after a long illness. An avid jazz musician, Ollie entertained
thousands over the years with this smooth, melodic, soulful and
sometimes funky playing of the clarinet and soprano saxophone.

Ollie was a quiet and gentle person who spoke through his horns. He
played and recorded most notably with Bill Borcher’s Oregon Jazz Band,
and with Stumptown Jazz of Portland, Oregon.

Gary Peterson, leader of Stumptown Jazz, said, "Ollie was in our band
from 1985 to 1988. While his primary instrument was clarinet, he was
facile on both soprano and alto saxes. One of his compositions that
was part of our repertoire, called 'Just for Johnnie' (Hodges),
featured his alto. I loved his tone and am grateful to have had the
opportunity to play with him."

He would have received far more recognition for his talents if he had
lived near a major metropolitan area, but he lived in Roseburg, Oregon
most of his life and pursued a career in banking. Ollie retired as a
branch vice-president in 1983 from what is now Wells Fargo Bank, and
continued to play locally  with his band, the Pussyfoot Stompers.

Rick Campbell 6/20/11