[Dixielandjazz] Eddie Miller on clarinet

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jun 22 15:36:38 PDT 2011

Dear Eddie Miller fan,
Further to the "South Rampart Street Parade' thread the other day, I promised additional information regarding Eddie Miller's clarinet playing.
Longtime listmates may recall the information as I submitted back in 2002 and again, in part, in 2009.
When I met the charming and gentle Mr Miller at the 1979 Australian Jazz Convention in Perth, with the Worlds Greatest Jazz Band, someone in a group of fans asked him if he had recorded much on clarinet.
”No“  was his reply. However, when I mentioned that I had a few of his 1930s clarinet sides in my collection (including the Louis Prima sides, Bob Crosby's "South Rampart Street Parade" and the wonderful "Dogtown Blues") he seemed very surprised, for he didn‘t think Australians even knew who he was!
Yes, I have all the Eddie Miller 1930s clarinet solo recordings, as you would expect.
Twenty-six sides over ten sessions between February 1935 and February 1938 with the New Orleans Rhythm Kings, the Mound City Blue Blowers, Louis Prima's New Orleans Gang, and the Bob Crosby band.
However, although his clarinet can be heard with Matty Matlock in the ensembles of the Wingy Manone 1934-35-36 sessions, Eddie Miller only solos on tenor.
There is also the lovely "Cajan Love Song" made for Capitol in January 1945.
Here then are the titles featuring Eddie Miller as clarinet soloist:

New Orleans Rhythm Kings.  20 Feb 1935
1. Baby Brown
2. No Lovers Allowed
3. Oh Susanna
4. Since We Fell Out Of Love

Mound City Blue Blowers.	9 May 1935
5. She's A Latin From Manhattan
6. Indiana

Mound City Blue Blowers.  8 November 1935
7. Red Sails In The Sunset
8. On Treasure Island

Mound City Blue Blowers.  12 December 1935
9. Enny Meeny Miney Mo
10. I'm Shooting High
11. I've Got My Fingers Crossed
12. High Society
13. Muskrat Ramble

[1934-35-36 Wingy Manone. EM, cl; with Matty Matlock in the ensembles but only solos on tenor.]

Bunny Berigan & His Blues Boys.  13 December 1935
14. I'm Coming Virginia
15. Blues

Louis Prima and His New Orleans Gang.  26 December 1934
16. House Rent Party Day
17. It's The Rhythm In Me
18. Worry Blues
19. Bright Eyes

Louis Prima and His New Orleans Gang.  3 April 1935
20. Put On An Old Pair Of Shoes
21. Sugar Is Sweet and So Are You.

Bob Crosby and His Bob Cats.  13 November 1937
22. Stumbling
23. Fidgety Feet

Bob Crosby and His Orchestra.  16 November 1937
24. South Rampart St Parade
25. Dogtown Blues

Bob Crosby and His Orchestra.  10 February 1938
26. Wolverine Blues.
Then Irving Fazola (also from New Orleans) joined the Crosby band and Eddie Miller never recorded solo clarinet with them again.

Eddie Miller's Crescent City Quartet.  27 January 1945
27. Cajan Love Song.

Very kind regards,
Bill.