[Dixielandjazz] Bob Crosby South Rampart Street

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sun Jun 19 22:52:04 PDT 2011

I have mentioned this before but since the song is being discussed, I'll repeat it for any of you who are new to the List.

Zeke Zarchy was playing lead trumpet with Bob Crosby when Bob Haggart pulled out South Rampart Street parade at a rehearsal for the first time.  On the original written arrangement, it says "Zeke" on the lead trumpet part.

I asked Zeke if, when they ran it down, did he know, or suspect that it would become a Dixieland standard.

Zeke said, "Hell no.  We played hundreds of arrangements, most of which we never played again.  At the time, it was just another new tune."

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
530/ 642-9551 Office
916/ 806-9551 Cell
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

"Help a man when he is in trouble, and he will remember you when he is in trouble again."