[Dixielandjazz] This night's jazz evening

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 15:44:17 PDT 2011

At our weekly jazz evening, we played a CD by Kenny Davern Big Three -
"Playing for Kicks" (JCD 197) .  In addition to Kenny, the trio are
Martin Litton on piano and listmate John Petters on drums.  What a
wonderful CD!  At less than 50 minutes, it was over much too soon!
John really is an excellent drummer, who matches the other two members
- and with Kenny Davern on board, that's saying a lot!
Another good CD, probably little known to members of this list, was
"Duets" by Mulgrew Miller and Niels Orsted Pedersen.  Mulgrew Miller
is hardly a household name for traditional jazz fans, although quite
well known in modern circles.  However, the CD in question, a tribute
to Duke Ellington, was wonderful, and a state of the art recording as
well.  Actually - better than that, considering that it was recorded
in 1999.  But then, it was issued by Bang & Olufsen, the manufacturers
of audio-visual equipment of the highest quality.
Cheers