[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Daddies on Riverwalk Jazz This Week

Donald Mopsick dmopsick at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 11:04:59 PDT 2011

The show this week is about Jazz Daddies in honor of Father' s Day.
Jim Cullum talks about his dad Jim Cullum Sr., Lionel Hampton's
re-discovery of his Dad is recalled by host David Holt, Shelly Berg
talks about his dad the trumpet player Jay Berg, John Pizzarelli talks
about the great Bucky, etc. Additional guests are Bob Barnard, John
Cocuzzi, and Nicholas Payton.

On a personal note: MY father, the late Harry Mopsick (he was a lawyer
but worked on alto and violin during the Depression years) was in the
band at Fordham U. the year that the SMU band came to Fordham to play
for a football game, and in that famous jazzy marching band (Johnny
Mercer was inspired to write "Jamboree Jones")  was Jim Cullum Sr. Jim
Jr. and I figured out that it was likely that our two fathers were at
the same game playing in the opposing bands. The year was probably
1933 or so.

Stream it here:

http://www.riverwalkjazz.org/jazznotes/jazz_daddies/

mopo