[Dixielandjazz] Starting Improv

Rick Campbell ricksax at comcast.net
Tue Jun 14 11:13:02 PDT 2011

Another effective way to start improvising has been taught by
saxophonist Lee Konitz. He calls it "Ten Steps to an Act of Pure
Inspiration."
It involves having the student play the melody at a slow pace ten
times, adding variations each time.
The first time is absolutely as written.
The second time, vary the melody and perhaps add ornamentation.
The third, more variation.
And so on, until the tenth time is "pure inspiration" and may have
become chordal arpeggiations (Hawkins Body and Soul), or an entirely
new melody (Moonglow/Picnic).

The charm of this method is that it is a gradual process, and the
student builds on each successive variation, rather than leaping
suddenly into unfamiliar territory. I suppose you could call it
learning through transformation.
In the process, the player also gains a deeper understanding of the
song, both melodically and chordally.
As previously mentioned, a program like Band In A Box provides an easy
way to build a music chord bed for practice.

Mel Martin has written a more detailed description in Jazz Times:
http://jazztimes.com/articles/26567-inside-out-part-one

(It is not aimed at dixieland improv per se, but it speaks to our
topic.)

Rick Campbell
Milneburg Social and Pleasure Society Jazz Band
Portland, Oregon USA