[Dixielandjazz] Improvisation & Your Brain

Bob Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Mon Jun 6 09:01:08 PDT 2011

Dear Steve,

Many thanks for sharing the article on how the brain functions when
improvising.

It certainly stimulated my grey cells!

I struggled for many decades to try and improvise trombone solos, without
making much progress. Then I switched to a treble recorder and played along
with many different jazz records, and, lo and behold, within a few weeks I
was improvising without any conscious regard for chord sequences, or the
tune. I recorded my efforts, and was pleasantly surprised on hearing the
results.
Finally, I did the same thing on the trombone (muted), and again, was
pleasantly surprised.

Kind Regards

Bob Smith