[Dixielandjazz] Joe "Fingers" Carr

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 15:21:38 PDT 2011

Hello,
Having heard a Joe "Fingers" Carr recording many years ago, I did not
think I could ever enjoy recordings issued under that name.  Later I
read in The Mississippi RAg that more than one person recorded under
that name.  Even though some of them were very good and repectable
pianists, the whole thing was not designated for jazz fans.
Nevertheless, as one of the records I received from the friend who is
moving to an old age home was "Rough House Piano" by Joe "Fingers"
Carr, I decided to give it a listen.  And lo and behold - I've enjoyed
most of it (where there were no whistles and other non-musical
devices).  So now I would like to know who is hiding behind that
particular record.  It is Capitol T-345, and the tunes are: Somebody
Stole My Gal, The Daughters of Rosie O'Grady, Dardanella, !2th ST.
Rag, Boogie Woogie Rag, Rattlesnake Rag, Lou's Blues, Minute Waltz
Boogie (an interesting number), Narcissus, The Darktown Strutters'
Ball, Kitten on the Keys and Hors D'Ouvre.  Can anybody help?

Not that I'm going to discard my Waller or James P. Johnson records,
but I'll listen to that one, too, from time to time.
Cheers
P.S.
If you have not yet heard this week's Riverwalk programme, I highly
recommend it.  You won't be disappointed!