[Dixielandjazz] Phil Napoleon & more

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 01:48:44 PDT 2011

On 2 June 2011 04:42, Stephen G Barbone <barbonestreet at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2011, at 3:46 PM, Marek Boym wrote: (in part)
>
>> Dear Steve,
>> Semantics or not, I beg to disagree.
>> We do not quite know what Daily played in 1930.  The review does not
>> prove anything.  It even claims that "Napoleon's outfit features a lot
>> of original players from the 1920s."  This alone casts serious doubt
>> on the reviewer's knowledge of jazz history and understanding of the
>> music itself.
>
> Dear Marek:
>
> Not to belabor the point, but  music critic Marshall Stearns whose review
> you first questioned

Not the review - the liner notes.

> "This alone casts
> serious doubt on the reviewer's knowledge of jazz history and understanding
> of the music itself"  is a leap to an erroneous conclusion.

Not Stearns' - Elder's.

> Far be it from me to defend a critic, however Mr. Stearns besides being an
> author of books about jazz,

I have "The Story of Jazz," and have read it more than once.  So?

and writer about jazz in numerous magazines like
> Variety, Downbeat etc., founded the Institute of Jazz Studies in his NYC
> apartment, then negotiated its relocation to Rutgers University in Trenton
> NJ. The Institute now claims to be the largest and most comprehensive
> library and archive of jazz in the world. Here is Mr. Stearns mission
>  statement, circa 1953.
>

> I suspect that Mr. Stearns knew more about the music itself than you and I
> put together.

Perhaps.  But he still gave the wrong impression.  Because of his
knowledge I suspected that he might have done so on purpose.

And the last posting, the one which you have answered, was about Bruce
Elder, the reviewer.

Cheers