[Dixielandjazz] Pete Daily

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Wed Jun 1 22:39:46 PDT 2011

Rich Howard wrote:

> Bob,
> Congratulations on being named Emperor of the Festival but I'm curious (as
> well as ignorant). Is this an honorary title or are there some
> administrative or other duties involved?

Rich,

It is an honorary title.  Each year the Festival recognizes someone who has been influential in Jazz in the Sacramento and Northern California area, in helping the Festival through the years, and helping Jazz in general.

We've had maybe 37 Emperors through the years.  The first one was Shakey Johnson of Shakey's Pizza parlor fame.

The writer Floyd Levin, Norma Teagarden (Jack's sister), Dr. Ed Lawless are just 3 past Emperors that I can think of.

Best,

--Bob Ringwald