[Dixielandjazz] Oh Yeah Day

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jul 31 03:31:09 PDT 2011

Stephen G Barbone wrote [in part]:
> Been thinking about Oh Yeah Day and how we will get the audience to respond with a vocal "Oh Yeah" after a Louis song. Decided to put it after the usual triple ending on Hello Dolly which most, if not all, of our general audience will know.

Dear Steve and Tamas,
Inspired by your emails, our young singer Majella Turner, to my surprise (aided and abetted by our clarinetist and occasional sop sax player Jack Wiard), decided to go one better.
Today, at our regular Sunday afternoon pub band job here in Sydney, Australia, Majella organised an "Oh yeah" bracket sign-off to replace our usual one with your suggested tribute to Louis and his birthday.
Majella even rehearsed our pub patrons and, by the end of a very fun day, the whole pub was enthusiastically yelling "Oh yeah."
Once again, Australia has gazumped the jazz world.
*>)
Very kind regards,
Bill.