[Dixielandjazz] Oh Yeah Day

Ernie Landes ernlan at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 28 19:43:08 PDT 2011

We'll do "Hello Dolly" on our gig this Saturday night at the Lakes Restaurant in
Peoria, AZ.  Can't record it, but know that we'll carry the "Oh Yeah" flag here
in Arizona.

Ernie Landes
Sun City Stomperz

________________________________

I KNEW that Steve Barbone would be one of the first ones to not only
understands my suggestion but do it in practice and make it work. We have
done this "Oh Yeah" ending with the audience several times and I found
concert Eb a good key. Might even be in C but generally concert F is too
high for average people and below C is too low. But you can transpose it, if
you want. (Another great thing would be, if technical and lighting
circumstances so allow, to show the audience the short movie of the Oh Yeah
of Armstrong - therefore I made it downloadable website in .flv format from
the Oh Yeah Day. Note that it is a YouTube low-resolution, so it should not
be very good as a motion picture on a big screen but still there is
something.)

I just finished updating the Events page on our FB page
(www.facebook.com/OhYeahDay) and website (www.OhYeahDay.com) and included a
few Hungarian events plus two Americans. Still waiting for Bria Skonberg's
answer who is in a jazz camp in California and promised me in Hungary (she
played here in June) to do it with the kids. I am sure that there are
several other concerts, gigs, gatherings where this could be done. All those
Oh Yeah's should be recorded and posted on YouTube so we will have a
collection of "international videos" of the Armstrong and Classic Jazz
celebration and it will be easier to turn it into a bigger marketing for
OKOM. I am convinced that all this is a great tool and good way to promote
Classic Jazz so I encourage EVERYONE, musicians and fans alike, to let me
know if there is anything going in your area, turn it into a participating
event of Oh Yeah Day by following the procedure as indicated on our website
in thsi document: http://www.ohyeahday.com/images/ohyeah.pdf

According to the "rule", any classic jazz concert happening on the 4th of
August OR/AND during the closest weekend (Aug 5-7 this year) can be part of
the international celebration of OKOM and Louis himself: Oh Yeah Day, World
Day of Classic Jazz. So there is still time, please, let me know what can be
done within the last few days to have a nicer-looking record for the first
year of Oh Yeah Day.

Cheers,

Tamas

Here is what Steve Barbone wrote:

Been thinking about Oh Yeah Day and how we will get the audience to
respond with a vocal "Oh Yeah" after a Louis song. Decided to put it
after the usual triple ending on Hello Dolly which most, if not all,
of our general audience will know. We will then add the da, da da Dah,
da Dah, da da . . OH YEAH. We will cue the audience before we start
the tune by playing that da etc., ending and holler out the OH YEAH
after it. Then ask them to join us when they hear the ending after the
tune.

We will not only do it on August 4, but will repeat it on 7 other
August dates after explaining that those audiences missed out on
participating on Oh Yeah Day if they didn't see us at the Wilmington
Delaware USA performance on his birthdate. However, we would
appreciate it if they honored Louis in this manner during the month of
his birth 100 years ago. Since he was THE foremost jazz artist for at
least the first 50 years of the genre etc.

Expect we will have a total of at least 4000 different people at these
gigs and believe most of them will be delighted to respond.

If other bands wish to do this, the music for that ending is on the Oh
Yeah Day website.

http://www.ohyeahday.com/  (video of Louis singing it)

http://www.ohyeahday.com/images/ohyeah.pdf  (actual PDF of the music
in Eb, but you can transpose it easily to any key)

This is a GREAT METHOD of involving your audience in a performance.
Thank you Tamas.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

---
ITTZÉS Tamás
violin teacher, ragtime pianist, festival director
www.bohemragtime.com
www.OhYeahDay.com
Address: H-6001 Kecskemét, Pf. 652., Hungary
Phone (classical): +36(20)82-447-82
Phone (jazz): +36(20)960-7169
E-mail (classical): ittzes.tamas at gmail.com
E-mail (jazz): info at bohemragtime.com