[Dixielandjazz] Oh Yeah Day

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 28 09:00:19 PDT 2011

Been thinking about Oh Yeah Day and how we will get the audience to
respond with a vocal "Oh Yeah" after a Louis song. Decided to put it
after the usual triple ending on Hello Dolly which most, if not all,
of our general audience will know. We will then add the da, da da Dah,
da Dah, da da . . OH YEAH. We will cue the audience before we start
the tune by playing that da etc., ending and holler out the OH YEAH
after it. Then ask them to join us when they hear the ending after the
tune.

We will not only do it on August 4, but will repeat it on 7 other
August dates after explaining that those audiences missed out on
participating on Oh Yeah Day if they didn't see us at the Wilmington
Delaware USA performance on his birthdate. However, we would
appreciate it if they honored Louis in this manner during the month of
his birth 100 years ago. Since he was THE foremost jazz artist for at
least the first 50 years of the genre etc.

Expect we will have a total of at least 4000 different people at these
gigs and believe most of them will be delighted to respond.

If other bands wish to do this, the music for that ending is on the Oh
Yeah Day website.

http://www.ohyeahday.com/  (video of Louis singing it)

http://www.ohyeahday.com/images/ohyeah.pdf  (actual PDF of the music
in Eb, but you can transpose it easily to any key)

This is a GREAT METHOD of involving your audience in a performance.
Thank you Tamas.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband