[Dixielandjazz] maybe a bit OT - Midnight Sleighride -- Sauter- Finegan Orchestra

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jul 26 21:58:18 PDT 2011

<alevy at alevy.com> wrote in reply to Dave Richoux:
> "at some point" are the key words.
> Morty Klamper played bass with the original band and I believe he's is on the RCA Victor recordings.
> P.S. Morty also played bass with my trio at times.

Dear Al (and Dave).
I have a reference to a 'Mort Klanfer' on a 1999 recording session with vocalist Rose Bonanza.
Could this be your friend?
So far as the 1952-1953 RCA Victor Sauter-Finegan sessions are concerned, the string bass player is listed as Trigger Alpert. Then Max Bennett took over until Francis James replaced him in 1954.
Trigger Alpert returned in 1955. In 1956 the bass player was Arnold Fishkin, then in 1957 Milt Hinton replaced him. In 1958 George Duvivier has taken over the spot and was there when the orch moved to United Artists.
This is probably an over-simplication based as it is on recording details from 1952-61.
A similar chronology exists for the session tuba players during this period:
Bill Barber, Paul Hurst, Fred Pfaff, Bill Barber, Joe Novotony, Harvey Phillips, Jay McAllister, Don Butterfield, Jay McAllister, Don Butterfield, Harvey Phillips.
Now that must have bored the pants of a few listmates.
*>)
Very kind regards,
Bill.