[Dixielandjazz] Spotify

Ulf Jagfors ulf.jagfors at telia.com
Sun Jul 24 02:30:17 PDT 2011

David

Could you explain more in detail what you mean. I have been a Spotify user
for more than one year now and I do not understand your statement?

SPOTIFY has an agreement with the major record companies to give access to
all their CD issues. By that they now have about 13 million tunes available
by a few simple clicks on the key board. Spotify is not a file sharing
service. They have the tunes available on their own storage system with
direct MP3 streaming to the user. But you can also, as a small company or
private maker of music, sign an agreement with Spotify to make your own
recordings available. However I have heard people complained about pretty
low compensation for each download. But you are there and make your own
music available for any of the 10 million subscribers at Spotify.

According to my opinion Spotify has the largest number of old and revival
classical jazz recordings available on the net just now. Over the last year
I have organized my own playlists which now contains about 7000 recordings
of the most prominent jazz orchestras in the 1920-1960 genre of classic
jazz. Very few people have such a large collection of LP´s and CD´s. However
there is one drawback. There is only CD issues available. That means that
early or rare 78 or LP´s that has not been converted to CD issues are not
there. However, the vast amount of recordings still available are more than
enough for me to keep me busy all the time to listen to. For instance, my
playlist of Bix contains 130 tracks. Are there any more??

By subscribing to the premium service ,$10 in US, I also have access, by
syncing, all my playlists to my smart phone (Android or iOS Apps)or any
other computer to which I can log in to Spotify. This is an extremely handy
feature. I am sitting in a jam and people ask how a particular tunes sounds.
I get it on my smart phone in seconds and can play it for the other
musicians. A few weeks ago we discussed why King Oliver's version of Doctor
Jazz never were issued in the 1920´s. I could immediately search and play
King Olivers version, issued in the 1960´s. We could understand why the
record companies thought that Jelly Roll Morton's version were so much
superior to Oliver's.( I hope I do not start any flamed debate here)

I can also download a playlist of 3300 tunes for listen too without an
Internet access (Off Line), like an MP3 player. And I can also download my
own made MP3 playlists, and sync it to all my gadgets. That is handy if
those recordings are not available from Spotify. Of course Spotify cannot
forward those private down loads to other users as that should break the
copyright agreements.

When searching for a particular artist or orchestra you get a list of all
recordings available. Many of the listed tunes are duplicates from different
CD issues on different companies. If you want to create a playlist without
having six copies of i.e. Avalon you can delete all but one in your
downloaded list. The easiest way of doing that is to click on the tune names
headline. Then all tunes will be sorted in alphabetic order and you can see
how many copies of the same tune there are. Then you can check the quality
of the different CD issues. Some of them are perhaps not cleaned from
scratches and clicks and some of them are not in correct pitch. Delete those
and save the best version for your personal playlist. It take some time but
once made you have a perfect list for all your gadgets.

I can only recommend you all to try for yourself. It is the future way of
getting music in scale and flexibility we never have had before and to a
decent cost, limited free download or unlimited $5 PC or extended with smart
phone service $10. And the bonus for you in US is that the prices are 50%
lower than in Europe.

Ulf who have no shares in Spotify but I wish I had.