[Dixielandjazz] Don Kinch RIP

Rick Campbell ricksax at comcast.net
Sat Jul 23 20:51:50 PDT 2011

Dear Listmates,

This is bit of a puzzle to me.

Don Kinch, celebrated cornetist and bass player, passed away on July
28 at age 94 in Portland, Oregon. He is survived by his third wife
Patty Bagan Kinch and two sons from an earlier marriage.

Yet, he expressed a desire to have no services, no local obituary, and
no fuss. It has been very difficult to research.

Those of us who knew him in Oregon are in a terrible dilemma: he was
one of the finest trad jazz cornet players of his time, and later one
of the finest bass players (tuba, helicon, and upright), and later one
of the most respected lutiers, specializing in damage to string
basses, on the West Coast.

I have forwarded Hal Smith's write-up on Don from the Frisco Jazz
Society to the American Rag, which details his early involvement with
the Firehouse Five, then the Castle Jazz Band, then Turk Murphy, and
finally his own Don Kinch and the Conductors band, which I remember
fondly. I am also in contact with his son Michael.

My guess is that this mailing list would have many more things to
share about Don that would result in a quality tribute. I welcome your
postings.

Should we say more, or simply let him fade away as he wished?

Rick Campbell
Milneburg Social Aid and Pleasure Society Jazz Band
Portland, Oregon USA
503-701-7356
ricksax at comcast.net