[Dixielandjazz] Louis and the Dukes of Dixieland

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jul 22 19:55:01 PDT 2011

Håkan Forsberg provided the following interesting information [snipped:

> Hello Jerry, Bill  and Marek.
> Yes, the Essential Jazz Classics (EJC 55404) is really complete– unless the upcoming issue under discussion includes material that is not before issued on LP or CD.

Dear Håkan,
Based on what is indicated on the SRI site, I believe that the new release contains only the originally issued sides.

> However, there are some flaws with the 3- CD issue on Essential Jazz Classics (EJC 55404). Some of the tracks are in incorrect speed and there are also a few odd editing having  been done. Especially strange is it that the original issue of Wolverine Blues has been shortened. The first ca 10 bars of Louis very fine solo have been eliminated – and in quite a clumsy way too. The elimination of these bars can also be found on the earlier Blue Moon CD issue and my guess is that the Essential Jazz Classics (EJC 55404) CD:s in fact are copied from the Blue Moon CDs:?

Now that is interesting, but unforgivable.
I have never noticed that large 'chop' at 2.27.
Probably because, for me, "Wolverine Blues" is clumsy and, perhaps, the most uninteresting track from the Louis/Dukes' sessions and rarely listened to on my EJC CD copy.
The Louis' 10 bars with stops are, however, on the EJC CD alternative take.
They are also on the SRI Juke Box version at
   http://www.srirecords.com/index.php?option=com_xemusicfx&Itemid=49
I only hope that the sound quality on their CD is better.
Very kind regards,
Bill