[Dixielandjazz] Dukes of Dixieland

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 15:57:43 PDT 2011

> Why were they so popular in the USA? Perehaps:
>

> 2) There was nostalgia involved as old white guy audiences tried to re live
> their youth.

I first heard about them in the Army, as a young rifleman right after
my rookie period, from a fellow soldier who came from the USA.  That
must have been in early 1961.  I was around 20, and so was he.  He
said they were the greatest.  A young guy, no nostalgia for the old
days.

> 3) They knew how to involve the audience.
> 4) They got good sound on record via Audio Fidelity.

Sure.  But the records on Decca and Columbia were much superior.  The
previous time I forgot an RCA Victor session with Pete Fountain.  When
the latter became very popular, the company tried to cash in on his
popularity and issued the record as "The Dukes of Dixieland Featuring
Pete Fountain."  A very good record, but not with the Audio Fidelity
rhythm section.

> etc., etc., etc.
>
> Regarding preferences and bands, for me, no one can touch the various band
> Condon put together at his joint on West 3rd in the Village.

Here I'm with you.

That doesn't
> mean British trad,or Australian Bands or West Coast trad are no good. It
> simply means they do not affect my ears the way Condon does/did.

Most of those bands tried to revive the New Orleans rather than the
"Dixieland" sound.  For the Condon "feel," try the early Alex Welsh,
and the various Freddy Randall bands.  In Oz, it was King Fisher, but
I don't think he cams as close as the foregoing British bands.  On the
other hand, it's difficult and unfair to judge based on a single
record, and I only have the Fisher's CD on Jazzology.

> There was no comparable jazz experience for me than opening the door at
> Condon's and having that music hit you in the face. The energy was, and
> still is unmatched by any other band worldwide, IMO. It was some of the most
> exciting jazz I ever heard.

It cntinued with the "New" Eddie Condon's, run by ReEd Balaban.  The
band I heard there, with Ed Polcer, Vic Dickenson, Jack Mahew, a
pianist whose name I don't recall at  the moment, Red Balaban on bass
and guitar, and Joe Morello on drums was among the best I have heard
(live, that is).  Much hotter than in the joint on the other side of
the stree.