[Dixielandjazz] FW: I like the Dukes of Dixieland!

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Jul 22 09:23:41 PDT 2011

Dan wrote:
>....in my bedroom, where i used to play tuba along with the recordings of
the Dukes of Dixieland, Turk Murphy, and the Firehouse Five Plus Two
(without any sheet music, which practice was invaluable in learning how to
play jazz better later on).

That's what I was doing about the same time, Dan, with the same records.
And, that's what the Sheik was talking about. Listening to the tuba gave you
the chords, and I eventually became quite good at blocking out the
trombonist & trying to take his place in the band (so to speak).

Jim