[Dixielandjazz] Louis and the Dukes of Dkxkieland

Roger Wade rwade1947 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 21 20:12:37 PDT 2011

Hi Bill,

I saw your response, so it made it to some list members anyway.

I do not agree with either you or Jerry on this one though.  I actually am more excited about the other CD being released, which is of the early Dukes, "Live at the Famous Door".

This subject has been discussed on the list before and I still don't understand the need to slam a band that one does not enjoy.  I love the early pre Audio Fidelity Dukes of Dixieland.  They still had that New Orleans "bounce" sound that many of the white New Orleans bands of the late 40s and early 50s had.  Many of those bands were captured on the Southland label, guys like Sharkey Bonanno, Mike Lala, Santo Pecora (Freddie Assunto's idol), Emile Christian, and many more.

The early Dukes swung like crazy and were less polished than they were later.  Check out "339 Rag" in the SRI Jukebox from the "Live at the Famous Door" CD.  Great stuff, to least to me.

Best regards,

Roger Wade
Really Old Records

http://www.reallyoldrecords.com