[Dixielandjazz] Harder rules to enter USA, additional info

Ulf Jagfors ulf.jagfors at telia.com
Thu Jul 21 07:13:12 PDT 2011

I just received this additional posting from the four string banjo list. It
clarify the strict rules that applies not only in US but also in Europe, at
least UK, for playing in public, with or without payment. Though, I have
never heard of any case here in Europe, yet, were the authorities have tried
to nail down a foreign musician by searching on Internet. But that will
probably come here too. Just wait and see.

Quote;
>> Hi Tom. I'd prefer to be kept right out of this, so please don't mention
my name, in case of repercussions.
Just tell the folks that since March 2003 they need official permission to
play in public in the USA, whether being paid or not. Things were tightened
up after Homeland Security took over responsibility from the INS. Performers
need to be officially "sponsored" by the Festival or whoever has invited
them to the USA, and need to apply for a special visa at a US embassy or
consulate. This even applies to major rock bands and famous symphony
orchestras. This can all be checked out on the internet. My strong advice
would be to follow the correct procedure, as at least one person I know of
was refused entry at Chicago a couple of years ago and put on a plane back
to the UK. The same is now true of non-EU musicians entering the UK for paid
performance and, by the way, two Canadian musicians booked by Jazz North
East were refused entry at Newcastle airport just last year. So the US is
not the only country tightening its regulations......<<

So, that means if I attend the N.O jazz camp June next year, for the banjo
class, I will not be able to join the performances for public in N.O. I
can't attend the second line parade nor will I be permitted to join a jam at
any club open to public. I wonder if organizers of jazz events are fully
aware of this and the consequences it could mean for foreigners attending
different musical venues. As I see it the open cultural exchange has been
severely crippled by actions taken by authorities on both sides of the pond.
I can understand the professional paid gig rules but for none paid amateurs
jamming for public?? How pity this is for all of us.

Ulf