[Dixielandjazz] R.I.P. Lil Greenwood

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Wed Jul 20 02:41:36 PDT 2011

Local Jazz Singer, Lil Greenwood, Has Died
WKRG News 5 (Mobile, Alabama), July 19, 2011
MOBILE -- News 5 has learned Lil Greenwood, a jazz singer who sang with the greats
like Duke Ellington, passed away early Tuesday morning.
Greenwood, who was born in Prichard, suffered a stroke last year.
In the early 1950's, Duke Ellington heard her sing at the Purple Onion in San Francisco,
and the next week Lil Greenwood was in New York recording with him.
For over 50 years her voice entertained in recordings and live performances. She
was even in the national touring company of Broadway's "Hello Dolly" starring Pearl
Bailey.
Just last weekend in Mobile, a concert honoring her life and legacy.
__________
Videos from 2006 interview with Greenwood:
http://www.wkrg.com/alabama/article/local-jazz-singer-lil-greenwood-has-died/1208315/
Greenwood's Tribute Set for Sunday
by Lawrence F. Specker
Mobile Register, July 14, 2011
Lil Greenwood has brought joy to a lot of people in the Mobile area over the years.
Sunday is payback time.
The occasion, a tribute taking place at the Alabama School of Mathematics and Science
Auditorium, promises to be an afternoon full of memorable music, and that's just
it should be, given the nature of Greenwood's career. The only sad note is that,
according to friends, health issues will prevent Greenwood herself from attending.
Her amazing career began in 1949, when she traveled from Prichard to California,
where she spent the next decade singing at clubs in the San Francisco Bay area. Eventually
she was handpicked by Duke Ellington to tour with his band, which she did until his
death.
She was famous, in a modest way, making cameo appearances on popular TV shows such
as "The Jeffersons." But at the end of the '70s she returned to Mobile to care for
relatives and largely dropped from public life.
She enjoyed a renaissance in recent years, however, as her '50s singles were re-released,
composer David Amram helped her record a new album, and Mobile-area listeners re-discovered
the enduring power of her voice and personality.
Unfortunately, she was hit by a stroke last year. Her ongoing illness prompted friends
to put together Sunday's program, partly as a tribute, partly as a fundraiser. (Donations
to help with medical expenses will be accepted at the event.)
The names of the participants indicate the broadness of respect Greenwood commands.
The event is being presented by Mobile Opera as part of its "Sounds Like Alabama"
series, underwritten by the Clyde C. Snyder Field of Interest Fund of the Community
Foundation of South Alabama.
"Mobile Opera, we're about celebrating the human voice," said D. Scott Wright, the
opera's general director. "Lil Greenwood is a treasure to Mobile."
Three of the area's best-known vocalists, Paula Broadwater, Sharon Moore and Theola
Bright, will sing. Hosea London will lead the backing band.
"We hope that people will get a chance to realize her value to jazz music in Mobile,"
London said of the program.
Longtime friend and caregiver Ruby Lewis said Greenwood has "good days and bad days"
in the wake of the stroke. Even if she can't attend the tribute, having her supporters
come together hopefully will help make Sunday one of the good ones.

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
530/ 642-9551 Office
916/ 806-9551 Cell
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

"My doctor recently told me that jogging could add years to my life.  I think he was right. I feel ten years older already."  -- Milton Berle, B7/12/1908 - D3/27/2002