[Dixielandjazz] Cool trumpet players

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Jul 19 21:56:18 PDT 2011

Steve - you were very lucky to be at a place and time to hear such talent's.
There were a few good players here but personally I didn't have access and
they couldn't wait to get out of fly over land.  That's still pretty much
the case.  They didn't even have a jazz station till way past time to give
me anything.  Growing up, I wouldn't have had a clue as to who Bechet or
some if those other guys were.

Although things have improved somewhat here in St. Louis, we are still a
jazz backwater and that's too bad.  At least I don't live in the great
musical wasteland West of KC and East of LA.

You said a mouthful about jazz being considered degenerate but R&R was
really bad.  I have said that the 50's didn't happen here.  I can't give
away my 50's show to this day.
Larry
StL