[Dixielandjazz] Shameless Plugs!

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Fri Jul 15 07:03:23 PDT 2011

Hi Folks,

Just a couple of new items from the Classic Jazz Orchestra:

On Sunday 24th July we're appearing on the Edinburgh INternational Jazz Festival in a concert featuring the undoubted star of last year's Whitley Bay International Jazz Festival, singer Cecile Salvant. It'll be an eclectic mix of Jelly Roll Morton, Woody Herman, Gerry Mulligan, Bix, Bessie Smith and Billie Holiday material, so there's something for just about every taste provided I can get all the new charts ready on time!

The other piece of news is the release of a new CD by Alan Barnes and the Classic Jazz Orchestra of music by or associated with the great Benny Carter, included a 5-part suite which he wrote when he  was composer-in-residence at he first ever Glasgow Interbnational Jazz Festival in 1987. It's a hitherto unrecorded and unpublished work, so it should be of great interest to Carter aficionados. THe CD is entitled *The Glasgow Suite - The Music of Benny Carter* and it's on Alan's Woodville label, which has world-wide distribution and download capability via its website. Most of the musical arrangements are my reductions.of Benny's original orchestrations for big band, so it has a lot of Benny's characteristic writing traits and Alan plays his socks off in the role of principal alto soloist.

Highly recommended, if only to keep our kids clothed and fed!

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson