[Dixielandjazz] Ellington and Strayhorn

Steve Voce stevevoce at virginmedia.com
Thu Jul 14 09:14:54 PDT 2011

Ellington was not unique, amongst bandleaders, in having a stipulation in a musician's contract that Ellington was to be given half
composer credit of any tune which the musician wrote whilst he was a member of the band. Talking about his composition
'Jones', Clark Terry told me that 'Duke got half composer credit for it, then his publishing company had the right to publish the music, so that you started
off with the tune and then when it's all settled down you own about 25% of it.'

Steve Voce