[Dixielandjazz] Creole Love Call

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 14 06:55:36 PDT 2011

> Marek Boym <marekboym at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Dear Steve,
> I don't know whether Ellington composed Creole Love Call or not.  Nor
> find it of great importance.
> In the early period, which includes the 1930's, the Duke recorded lots
> of tunes composed by others, and made them sound different than any
> other renditions.  Should tose not be included among Ellington
> classics?  Ellington's rendition of the Tiger Rag certainly stands
> out!

Dear Marek:

Now you know. <grin>

What should be included among Ellington's classics was never the
issue. After all, the man recorded over 2000 pieces of music. The
original review  of the record set release was not concerned with
Ellington classics, only a specific period of his work, both as a
composer and as an orchestra leader.

That period was 1932 to 1940, a time when his creativity really burst
forth. Prior to that, both his creativity and recorded output were
inhibited by the fact that from 1927 to 1932, he led a dance and show
band in residency at the Cotton Club in Harlem.

That plus the number of existing recording sets on the market covering
the years from 1927 to 1932. Why make another?

Anyway, I'm sure this is this is all quite boring to most on the list
and will be my last post on the subject

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband