[Dixielandjazz] Ellington Worthless?

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 01:15:29 PDT 2011

> To me, the greatest problem fans have in talking about the music is that
> they read what others, like Blesh (or Hammond, or Feather et al) write about
> a musician like Ellington, but do not read what Ellington wrote about
> Ellington.

Actually, I have read some - not all - of waht Ellington wrote.  And I
agree with his seminal statement "If it sounds good, it is good."   As
I have mentioned, I have and cherish lots of the recordings included
in the Mosaic anthology.  But not all are great classics.

> Regarding those early works of Ellington that you mention, they do not
> compare to his work after 1932.

A matter of taste.  I'll take any version of "East St. Louis" or
"Black and Tan" anytime.  Which does notdetract from "Concerto for
Cootie" or "The 'A' Train."