[Dixielandjazz] Ellington Worthless?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 13 19:36:22 PDT 2011

> Marek Boym <marekboym at gmail.com> wrote
>
> Hello Steve,
> You have not replied to Joe.

Hello Marek:

No, I was  trying to avoid responding to a question that did not make
any sense. But since you insist, Teagarden said, according to Joe,
that T did not like anything Ellington ever did. Therefore did that
make him a fool?

In response perhaps to my comment that anyone who thinks Ellington is
worthless is a damn fool.

Since T did not say Ellington was worthless, but merely stated his
opinion that he did not like what the man did, that obviously does not
make him a fool. The two statements, T's and mine are different and
cannot therefore be logically connected.

Had T said that Ellington was worthless, then yes, he would be a damn
fool.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Regarding T's concerns about the blend of Ellington's Bands it may
well be, as Bert inferred, T's ears were not yet ready for the unusual
voicings and advanced harmonics that Ellington was using.

Regarding Blesh, the man's written works speak for themselves. As
Steve Voce said, you'll go blind if you read him. (and keep putting a
lot of faith in his critiques)  Mentally blind, that is, regarding
what jazz is or is not.

Better you should read the 3 articles Ellington authored in Downbeat
during 1939 (February, April and July) about swing music and its
critics.
Or Ellington's defense of his music in the Glascow Sunday Post July
1933, or the numerous articles and interviews he wrote/gave about what
it is he was doing.

To me, the greatest problem fans have in talking about the music is
that they read what others, like Blesh (or Hammond, or Feather et al)
write about a musician like Ellington, but do not read what Ellington
wrote about Ellington.

Regarding those early works of Ellington that you mention, they do not
compare to his work after 1932. Plus, Creole Love Call was a steal,
not original.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband