[Dixielandjazz] Worthless Ellington

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 13 13:30:52 PDT 2011

On Jul 13, 2011, at 3:55 PM, Marek Boym wrote:

>>> Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au> wrote

>>> Dear Marek,
>>> Not this little mouldy old fig.
>>> *>)
>>
>> Amen Bill. IMO anyone who would consider Ellington "worthless" is a
>> damn
>> fool.
> I agree.
> Nevertheless, this was often the case.  Rudi Blesh went even farther
> and said: "as for jazz, the Duke has never played it." (p. 281 of the
> "fourth edition, enlarged, February 1958, printed in England by
> Cassell & Company Limited).
> BTW, sorry for the typo.

Duke Ellington may have agreed with Rudi Blesh, or vice versa. He said
on many occasions that he did not write jazz but rather Negro Music.
Even so, he was crowned "King of Jazz" by a Pittsburgh newspaper in
1931 having received more than 50,000 votes in a nationwide poll in
1931.

As for Blesh, his bios always seem to begin with:

"A supporter and propagandist for New Orleans jazz and ragtime, Rudi
Blesh made an impact on the world of trad jazz."

Cor, he was more one eyed than our mate Bill Haesler. <grin>

Nuff said.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband