[Dixielandjazz] Ella Fitzgerald reviewed

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Tue Jul 12 13:01:35 PDT 2011

Ella Fitzgerald: 'S Wonderful: Ella in Japan (Verve)
by Christopher Loudon
Jazz Times, July-August, 2011
In January 1964, Ella Fitzgerald toured Japan with the Roy Eldridge Quartet. Norman
Granz, no longer owner of Fitzgerald's label, Verve, yet still her personal manager
and professional Svengali, recorded the Tokyo leg. For months afterward, Granz prepared
what was to be "Ella in Nippon," a follow-up to 1960's Grammy-winning "Ella in Berlin."
Why did the album never surface, the master tapes left gathering dust for 47 years?
The answer seems fairly easy to decipher. In July '64, Granz recorded Fitzgerald,
again with the Eldridge quartet, at Juan-les-Pins. The results were stunning and,
perhaps of greater commercial importance at the time, the playlist more diverse,
incorporating hits of the day like "Can't Buy Me Love" and "The Girl from Ipanema."
With the market for jazz vocalists fading rapidly as rock's British Invasion escalated,
Granz simply opted for the seemingly stronger Juan-les-Pins sessions. It turns out,
though, that the Japanese sessions are equally good.
Always a sage crowd-pleaser, Fitzgerald gives her Tokyo fans precisely what they
want, drawing heavily on her landmark Songbook series and such recent albums as "Rhythm
Is My Business," "Ella Sings Broadway" and "Ella and Basie." (She even sings a chorus
of "'S Wonderful" in Japanese.) She is impeccable throughout -- certainly as fine
as at Juan-les-Pins and with better overall recording quality. But perhaps this two-disc
set's biggest treat is a foursome of instrumental tracks from Eldridge and his bandmates,
including densely satisfying treatments of "'Round Midnight," "I Can't Get Started"
and "Undecided," plus a pulsating six-minute jam session.

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
530/ 642-9551 Office
916/ 806-9551 Cell
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

The red cross knocked at my door asking if I could help towards the floods in Pakistan.
I said I would love to, but my hose only reaches the bottom of the driveway.