[Dixielandjazz] The other Musical Parrot (besides Nikki Parrott)

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 11 07:42:32 PDT 2011

We had a large crowd of about 300 at our concert in Masons Mill Park
last night. But the piece de resistance was a lady of about 75 years
in the front row on the grass. She had a baby carriage with her. One
of the older types, nothing fancy except that there was a bird cage
standing upright in the carriage. Inside the cage on a swinging perch
was a beautiful pale blue amazon parrot.

I spotted them as we were about ready to play and asked over the
microphone whether the bird like jazz. "Yes indeed" the lady replied.
"Watch her sway to your music and when a number is over, she will
vocally voice her approval."

Well, damned if the parrot didn't do exactly that. On every number
during our 2 hour concert. And when the crowd applauded, the parrot
would chime in saying "Yes, Yes, Yes". The Parrot especially liked "In
A Mellow Tone".

I guess our music is indeed for the birds and promise never again to
joke about "My Canary Has Circlers Under His Eyes."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband