[Dixielandjazz] Ina Ray Hutton

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jul 8 16:41:37 PDT 2011

Robert Ringwald posted:
> Ina Ray Hutton: The Forgotten Female Star of 1930s Jazz
> by Bob Stanley
> London Guardian, July 7, 2011

Dear Bob,
Great news.
Reissues of the 20+ sides Ina Ray Hutton's bands recorded are rare and deserve a wider audience.
This new 3CD has certainly done that.
The web link provided by listmate Dave Radlauer
   http://jazzhotbigstep.com/170.html
includes one of her most reissued numbers, "Wild Party".
The Fantastic Music web site for the new CD set also includes it plus "Georgia's Gorgeous Gal":
   http://www.futurenoisemusic.com/product.aspx?id=738
These two tunes plus a third "Twenty-Four Hours in Georgia", from a Vocalion session recorded on 13 September 1934, were arranged for the Hutton band by pianist Alex Hill.
Who? Check out:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Hill_(musician)
But something I discovered with my ears many years ago is that Alex Hill (a real favour of mine since my 78rpm collecting daze) also solos with the Hutton band on this session.
A fact I have yet to read in any discography.
Have a listen.
Very kind regards,
Bill.