[Dixielandjazz] Ina Ray Hutton

Dradjazz at aol.com Dradjazz at aol.com
Fri Jul 8 14:19:26 PDT 2011

Regarding Ina Ray Hutton, you can read more about her, see a picture of the
Melodears or stream a audio clips at my website in the extensive section
about Women of Jazz:

http://jazzhotbigstep.com/170.html
(scroll halfway down the page until you see a headline and pics of Ina Ray &
 the Melodears)

***********

INA RAE HUTTON AND HER MELODEARS

Singer, and leader of the 14 piece all-female ‘Melodears,’ Ina Ray began
her show business career tap dancing at age 8 or 9. She later appeared in
several Broadway shows, the 1934 Ziegfield Follies, movies and television.

A platinum blonde in the jean harlow mold, Hutton fronted the Melodears
from 1934-39. She went on to lead all-male bands through the late ‘40;
reorganizing an all-woman band again in in the ‘50s which appeared on her nationally
televised “Ina Ray Hutton Show.”

I would’nt call the Melodears a swing band, but a ‘big band,’ in that they
seem to be playing mostly from the written page: tight playing of good
arrangements, but lacking the riffing and spontaneous solos of a great swing
orchestra. Though only a half dozen sides were commercially issued, the
Melodears appeared in several short films in the mid-1930s.

Incidentally I don’t mean to give the impression Melodears were the only
all-women band of the ‘30s -- just the only to make records. There were
several all-female bands playing and touring in the late ‘30s and early ‘40s who
did not record, such as: Darlings of Rhythm; The Harlem Play-girls; Dixie
Rhythm Girls; Eddie Durham’s All Star Girl Orchestra and Prarie View Co-eds.
One of the best known all-female ensembles was Phil Spitalny’s Hour of Charm
Orchestra, with harp and strings. Neither a swing, jazz or big band, the
very sweet, bland Hour of Charm was the complete opposite of the sassy
Melodears fronted by ‘Blonde Bombshell” Ina Ray Hutton!