[Dixielandjazz] Capital Focus (youth) Jazz Band

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue Jul 5 14:26:27 PDT 2011

Sorry, I posted this earlier without a Subject line, so some may not have
opened it.  Jim

The Canal Street Jazz Band of Madrid recently had as guests all 12 members
of the Capital Focus Jazz Band. This band is a group of young men (aged 17
to 22 in this instance) from Washington D.C. These young musicians are part
of the Youth Learning Program of the Potomac River Jazz Club. It was great
fun to have them with us, and we certainly enjoyed their enthusiasm.
Congrats to leader (cornetist & DJML lurker) Dave Robinson for all of his
efforts.

It was an interesting evening, to say the least.  With a bandstand that is
already crowded with our 5 piece band, we were joined on several numbers
with up to 7 of the musicians from Capital Focus.  All in all, their band
was a total of 12 musicians, although they never all play together as some
instruments are doubled.

We played two introduction songs per set that nite, and then gave up the
stand to the younger guys for 3 songs (per set) on their own.  I have placed
two videos of them playing on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba-u7_u1ae8  where you will hear a bit of
"Caravan", and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOYtCyMP7ro   where there is
a group vocal of "Sunnyside of the Street".

After their 3 songs, we came back for 2 more on our own, but with as many
musicians who wanted (& could fit!) to join in on the last one.  We had a
lot of fun with a couple of very strong choruses of 3 trombones, and the
same repeated with 3 trumpets!  The audience was...well, flabbergasted is
probably the best word to describe the audience.  They, of course, loved it
& cheered and cheered.  One of the waiters apparently did a video of the
"massive band", and once I get my hands on it I will post that on YouTube,
also, and pass it on to DJML.

The young musicians were truly "Embassadors of Youth", showing all of the
opposite values that the press seems to portray for the world's youth.  I
enjoyed a chat with a lot of them out on the street in front of the club on
the break.  It was midnite, and well into 100º F, with a never ending crowd
of young people strolling on the pedestrian street where the club is.  The
guys were amazed at all the people out and around, and at the audience in
the club, also.

Good to see so many young kids enjoying jazz.

Jim